On this, my 47th birthday, as others lavish gifts upon me in their kindness, I’m writing this column as my gift to you. Want to be more innovative? Want to be more creative? Want to be a better you? I pondered these questions; I’ve thought about what’s worked in my life, and what hasn’t. So far, here’s a list of what works:
- Be passionate about what you do. Ultimately it’s you that motivates you.
- Be authentic. Kind of like #1 but it’s about acknowledging who you are in all your various facets and embracing you. You are your brand. Rock the world with it.
- Don’t let others bring you down. I don’t care if it’s your boss or the president or a family member. Rise above – you’re the best you. You made a mistake? So what. (See Rules #7, #8, #11, #12)
- Get plenty of sleep. Seriously. It will help in synthesizing ideas. Also, when you sleep you…
- Dream. Do it while you’re awake.
- Take time off from your work. Hike, pray, meditate, play. Get some of the benefits of sleep but you’re conscious.
- Be curious. It might drive people nuts, but then you’re living according to Rule #3, right?
- Don’t be afraid to look like an ass. This might seem like #3 but it’s not. This is about doing things that you think others are looking at you funny about. It’s got nothing to do about what others have said or done.
- Have empathy for others. Tolerance is the easy way out. Empathy.
- Revel in your successes! Don’t look ahead to the next challenge without appreciating what you’re doing, and have done, to get to the now.
- Don’t be afraid to try things and make mistakes. It’ s important because we not only learn from successes we…
- Learn from mistakes.
Are there any that you would add?